I know I have been really lazy about updating the blog. The kids are out of school and I have just enjoyed hanging out with them and doing yard work and not working on the house. I felt so defeated for awhile that the project that once was just supposed to be a quick and easy project took nearly 6 months to complete. I am just so grateful now that it is done and I do truly love the finished result.
A little backstory: We etched out a space that wasn’t being used in the garage between the landing and the front wall of the garage. We knew we could enter into the new Bathroom from a wall in our mudroom area. We had space limitations due to electricity and obstacles in the garage. That left us with a finished footprint of 3’10×5’3. Just enough to squeak in a small powder room or so we had hoped.
After some unexpected complications, needing steel rebar reinforcements in my flooring to support new room, a snow storm or 2 or 3. We finally got the project going. Just when we thought we were finished we found we didn’t meet code.
Here are some timeline photos.
This was the layout we had first. The GC thought this would pass code and it was close. We had enough room on each side of the toilet and although there is plenty of room in front of the toilet to the wall the sink came out too far and did not meet clearance requirements for in front of the toilet.
While I was waiting for the new sink to come in I wanted to get everything else finished it the room.
I found the pallet art and the frames at Target. I had seen an idea on Pinterest where someone had used a three picture opening frame and placed a photo of their home, put a number under the photo of which house it was; their first, second, etc; and then under that their address. I just adapted the idea to use a sketch of the house and the address.
These frames were out around Mother’s day and came with pre-printed sayings. I loved the metal label holder and the vintage look of the frame so I just flipped the tab over and wrote our address instead, then finished the frames off a little more by washing on some Annie Sloan Graphite paint to age the frames a bit more.
Finally after several meetings with the County Code Inspector and the GC we all agreed on a sink I picked out and I ran to IKEA to pick up the Lillangen Wall mounted Sink.
I was not a fan of the wall mounting brackets that they sell at Ikea
I found a picture on Houzz that used different brackets from a tool company- Lee Valley Tools in Canada so I called the company and ordered those brackets. Here is the inspiration picture for the brackets…now if I could convince my husband to do a tile border around the room -wait didn’t I say the bathroom was finished…
So after 24 weeks, two sinks, and re-plumbing the area it is finally finished and we do love having the extra bathroom on this side of the house and feel like it looks like it has always been here and wasn’t just space in the garage.
Wall color Benjamin Moore revere Pewter
Tile Color Serso Mah0gony tile with Sable grout (tile from Lowes grout from Home Depot)
Lillangen sink and Dalskar faucet IKEA
Wall Brackets- brushed nickle from Lee Valley Tools
Vintage paint ladder from A Rustic Garden-Etsy
Frames and Pallet Art- Target
Lights from Lowes
Mirror owner owned.